Belgrade Attractions - The Cathedral Church is a cultural monument of great ecclesiastical, cultural and historical importance. It is dedicated to the Holy Archangel Michael and the struggle for independence from centuries of Turkish rule in this region. In the 19th century, the Cathedral Church was a church, administrative, social, commercial and cultural center around which Belgrade began to emerge and develop.
The Cathedral church was built on the site of the Temple of the Holy Archistrats from the beginning of the eighteenth century. Due to the increasing Turkish penetration, the church was significantly damaged and demolished. From the old church remained the bells, which first sounded when the Principality of Serbia was granted autonomy. Construction of the new church began in 1837, which lasted until 1840. The icons in the church are the work of top Serbian painter Dimitri Avramovic. It is important to mention that the Cathedral Church is one of the largest church buildings from the Principality of Serbia and is the oldest church in Belgrade.
Milos Obrenovic, Mihailo Obrenovic's donor was buried in the Cathedral Church, while the tomb of Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic and Dositej Obradovic is in the church port. The relics of Prince Lazarus are preserved in the Church.