Belgrade Attractions - The Patriarchate Building is the seat of the Serbian Orthodox Church, the center of ecclesiastical authority. It is located on Kosancic's Wreath at King Peter Street and Cathedral Church. The Patriarchate's Palace is not the first building for such a purpose. In the middle of the 19th century, the old building of Belgrade-Karlovac Metropolis was built, which is located on the site of today's Patriarchate building. Although the first building did not have a representative architectural building, its historic value was exceptional. Due to the deteriorating condition of the old building, it was decided to begin construction of a new and more beautiful building, which they did in 1935.
The Patriarchate building houses the institutions of the Serbian Orthodox Church, offices, archives, spiritual court, gallery and library. The building includes meeting rooms, a hierarchy council hall, and a Synod and a Patriarchal Council. In the inner courtyard, invisible to the public, is a chapel dedicated to Saint Simeon the Peacekeeper. The Serbian Orthodox Church is in charge of cultural and informing all citizens through the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church and the Library of the Patriarchate.
The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church has a rich collection of religious, cultural and historical objects - church painting, portraits of church dignitaries, old Serbian engraving, handwritten and printed Serbian books, all kinds of clothing, sacred objects, votive gifts, church embroidery, seals, historical documents, etc. . The diverse collection shows the development of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Most exhibits come from the monasteries of Fruška Gora and Srem.