|Belgrade , Kosančićev Venac|
Belgrade Attractions - The National Library of Serbia from the list Belgrade Attractions once stood on Kosančićev venac, the only thing in its place now are the remainders that once on that very place there was a magnificent building that was home to knowledge and history. The rubble and karst of the National library of Serbia from the list Belgrade Attractions serves as witness some terrible times. The national library of Serbia was destroyed during World War II, on April 6th, in 1941, during the German bombing. The attack destroyed about 500,000 volumes and 1,300 Cyrillic and Latin manuscripts from the book fund, as well as the graphic and cartographic collection of 1,500 copies, 4,000 magazines and historically a very significant collection of Turkish documents about Serbia.
However, the National Library of Serbia has not always in Kosančićev venac, in fact, when it was founded in 1832, its first location was a bookstore owned by Gligorije Vozarović. The day of the establishment of the National Library of Serbia is the day when Dimitrije Davidovic sent a letter to Prince Milos about the organisation of the library, on February 28, 1832. That same year, Prince Milos ordered that the people pay homage to the library by gifting it one copy of every printed book.
According to some data, the National Library of Serbia was originally founded in Kragujevac in 1838, but then was moved to Belgrade in 1839.
Between 1861 and 1869 the National Library was located in Captain Miša's building, the library was in the same building of Captain Misa when First World War struck. In the First World War the library lost its space and was moved into the purchased premises "Kartonaža Milana Vape" on Kosančećev venac.
The National library of Serbia is located in Vracar today.