|Belgrade , Nemanjina|
Belgrade Attractions - The buildings of the headquarters and the Ministry of Defence from the list Belgrade Attractions were built between 1954 and 1963 according to the project of a famous architect Nikola Dobrovic. Both buildings from the list Belgrade Attractions are valuable works that marked the epoch of modernism in the postwar period in the region.
The buildings of the headquarters and the Ministry of Defence were destroyed in air raids and bombings in 1999 by the NATO. The building was hit twice by three missiles, on 29th of April in 1999 and on 7th of May in 1999. The buildings were previously vacated by the military, and to this day are so severely damaged that they are almost useless, only recently the renovations were started as well as cleaning the ground around them.
As ruins and witnesses of mindless violence of the nineties these ruins attracted many tourists for years.
The two monumental tracts that were cascading down towards Nemanjina Street created the form of a city gate. Access to these tracts, slightly inverted in relation to the rest of the buildings on Kneza Milosa street, was achieved with two monumental portico’s. In addition to the cascade form of the facade of the building, the are characterized by contrasting materials used in the construction, a robust brown-red stone from Kosjeric and white marble slabs from the island of Brac. The window strips on the facades are definitely the most memorable motif on the facades, and are designed in the spirit of late modernism.
This complex is currently under renovation, however, still their exact purpose is not known after the completion of renovation.